I’ve been playing with my Cricut Explore (<--affiliate link) and truly having a blast with it. I really don’t consider myself crafty at all, but I feel like I’m maybe halfway there when I use the Explore. Maybe, maybe not?
I did something a little different for this month’s project. My team, the awesome Design Space Star Team 12, decided on a Roaring Twenties theme for our project. You may not know this about me but one of my all time favorite books is the Great Gatsby so yeah, this was up my alley alright!
They were a little more involved than last month’s project but still pretty easy!
Now you try them!
Supplies for Coasters
4 tiles – I used bathroom tiles from Lowe’s, approx 50 cents each
Ric rac or ribbon for edges
Embellishments or bling for added flair
Ribbon for wrapping
Directions for Coasters
1. For each tile, you’ll need a square template to cut the felt and the chalk tile. My tiles were 4.25″ square. I used the Cricut Explore Design Space to create a template just slightly smaller than 4.25″ (about 4.20).
2. Use the felt setting on the Cricut and the standard sticky mat to cut four equal-sized squares of felt. You’ll adhere one each of these to the bottom of the tiles using the Tacky Glue. Be sure to leave some time for drying.
3. Use the same square template to cut the chalkboard tops. Set the Cricut to the Vinyl setting for this one. You’ll need a pretty steady hand to apply the chalkboard squares to tops of your tile. Also, start from the middle and smooth out.
4. I used a feather, a fun lattice pattern, a shoe and a large D (for Daisy Buchanan naturally) to decorate the tiles. For those I used the silver vinyl. All the objects can be found in the Cricut Design Space and the capital D was just a fun font I used on my computer.
5. Then just add your bling! I added some ric rac on the sides since my tile wasn’t smooth and also a few hints of blingy crystals.
6. Wrap with ribbon and attach a Sharpie marker for a fun gift that the birthday girl and use right then and there.
We threw a holiday party last year and I thought it might be fun to do something like this for this year. Guests can sign them and then take their personalized coasters home afterwards.
Think you have the skillz to do some serious Cricut designing? Why not enter their contest?
Enter the Cricut-I Made It! Contest
Because It’s Time to Make It Big
It’s time your creativity pays off so you can really make it. Cricut has just announced the second phase of the Cricut – I Made It! contest and this time they’re awarding one winner their own Make it Now™ project line to be sold in Cricut Design Space™!
To help create your line, Cricut will fly you to their headquarters in Salt Lake City to work side-by-side with their design team. Then you and a guest will enjoy an all-expense paid stay at the Grand America Hotel – a luxury resort in Salt Lake City, home to the best skiing in the world.
The winner will be featured on Cricut.com and every time a Cricut user purchases your project, you’ll earn money. Cha-ching! Cricut will even help with your publicity.
Cricut is upping the fame game even more…camera, lights, action….
Cricut has partnered with the The Design Network – a premier online design channel – to showcase the Cricut- I Made It! winner this fall. You’ll get a spotlight feature on a network dedicated to celebrating great designers and their creative star power.
Cricut’s judges, including DIY Diva Alison Deyette and two creative directors from Cricut, will pick 50 finalists from the best project entries based on creativity, use of materials and technique. Who will pick the ultimate winner? You, the public, will vote online in October.
To enter the Cricut – I Made It! contest, all you need is a photo of an original project. You can upload up to five photos (which can be five individual projects or multiple photos of one project).
You have until September 30th to enter. What are you waiting for? It’s time you Made It big! Head to cricut.com to enter today.
Don’t forget – just like last time I’ll be updating this post with the sweet projects from Design Space Star Team 12! Be sure to check back often!